CCS planning after-school program
By JOYANNA LOVE/ Managing Editor
The Chilton County Board of Education took the first step in establishing an after-school program during a meeting on Sept. 3.
The board unanimously approved a job description and posting to hire an after-school program manager to run the program. Board member Lori Patterson abstained from the vote, and board member Keith Moore was absent.
Chilton County Schools Superintendent Jason Griffin said the job description is one that had been used by another school system.
He said the program manager would create the program subject to board approval. Griffin’s goal is to have six locations. The program will be fee-based.
Some have questioned whether the school system would offer an after-school program after a partnership with the YMCA of Chilton County and the school system to offer such a program was dissolved.
The decision to move forward with establishing a program was made after parents’ response to a school interest survey showed that most areas had parents interested in after-school care, Griffin said. The Y has also established a separate program.
Board member Angie Sanderson asked if teachers would be considered for the position. Griffin said once the position is posted anyone can apply.
Griffin hopes to have someone hired by Sept. 15.
Also during the meeting, the Board:
- Approved the resignation or retirement of Ashley Moyes from the Clanton intermediate Child Nutrition Program, Todd Smith from Chilton County High School and Miriam Ratliff from Isabella High School.
- Hired two teachers for Clanton Elementary, two teachers for Jemison High School, one teacher for Jemison Intermediate, one teacher for Jemison Elementary, a teacher and a counselor for Clanton Intermediate, and a teacher for Jemison Middle.
- Hired three nurses.
- Approved working contract with an employment agency for someone to work up to 25 hours a week assisting in the human resources department. Patterson abstained.
- Approved contracting for speech services.
- Approved the student parent handbook.
- Approved nSide Wifi for buses.