Commission eyes ADECA, storm shelter grants
The Chilton County Commission approved the applications for a pair of grants during its meeting on June 23.
The first resolution authorized the submission of a grant application to ADECA requesting $350,000 in the 2020 fiscal year.
Also approved was a resolution to create storm shelter specifications to submit for a grant request under the guidance of county attorney Roger Bates.
Both of the grant requests were approved unanimously with Commissioner Greg Moore absent for the meeting.
Following a public hearing, T&N Bait Shop and T&N Package Store were approved to continue the process of obtaining a license to sell alcohol.
Commissioner Jimmie Hardee was the lone opposition during the vote.
The Commission unanimously also agreed to pay $5,620 for air conditioning repairs made at the Chilton County Jail. The payment will come out of the jail maintenance fund.
In other news from the meeting:
- A resolution was passed to access the $125,000 allocation for sheriff vehicles prior to Oct. 1 for a savings of about $10,000.
- The polling location at the Collins Chapel Fire Department will temporarily change to Collins Chapel Baptist Church. The change will only be in effect for the Alabama Primary Runoff Election on July 14.
- Justin Mims was reclassified as a shift supervisor with the Sheriff’s Office effective June 27.
- Dustin Burnett was hired as a laborer with the road department effective June 29.
- A resolution approved the Creek Side subdivision final plat, phase 2, lots 6-9 on Walnut Creek by Jim Plyers.
- It was approved to temporarily hire a laborer for Minooka Park and Higgins Ferry Park. The laborer’s duties would be at the discretion of the designated park rangers.
- The Commission approved to pay its bills.
- The next Commission meeting will be July 14. A work session has been scheduled for July 21 to discuss roads.
Since the coronavirus pandemic has become a focal point of the nation, the Chilton County Chamber of Commerce has kept... read more